Odrive vs odrive2?

Just trying to understand if I need more OD1 or the new OD2:

1. I keep a synced local copy of all I have in the cloud (because I happen to work offline and because I am a control freak, and I like to have everything with me just in case): OD1 supports this quite seamlessly, but I do not understand if OD2 will do the same.

2. In case OD2 does not allow me to sync a local copy, will I be able to keep the OD1 copy and have it synced with all modifications I make working on the OD2 files?

3. How do you handle the risk of unwanted propagation of modifications through syncing when you have both clients working on the same cloud storage?

4. Will it be possible to connect other cloud services to OD2 (e.g. WD MyCloud, as I have a WD NAS which I’d love to connect to my cloud storage)

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Angelo Buongiovanni

Hi @angelo,

1. odrive2 sync will facilitate this. It is actually easier since it will automatically download a local copy for everything in the sync folder you setup, instead of requiring an additional step. Setting up a sync folder is just a matter of dragging and dropping the remote folder listed in the odrive2 app onto your local system.

2. odrive2 will allow syncing a local copy

3. Working on the same cloud storage is okay. This happens all of the time when you use odrive on multiple systems to sync your data between them. You would not want odrive1 and odrive2 acting on the same exact local files, however. Having two sync engines trying to manage the same exact local files can potentially cause conflict and contention.

4. We plan to continue adding integration options to odrive2, so I think this should be a possibility in the future.

Hi there,
Having played with od1 for a while, I’ve now subscribed to the basic od2. However, I’m still slightly confused on the feature set. I loved the od1 idea of being able to “see” all my files on the pc/desktop without taking up space, and then being able to sync when I needed a file/folder. I know it works differently on od2, but still don’t understand it…the danger of playing with a beta before the full instructions are posted! :grinning:
Any clarification appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi @fatangel01,
The odrive2 standard file management interface allows you to see all of your files without downloading anything. You can download, copy, move, delete, edit, and upload files all from within this interface. These are all done through explicit user actions, so it is different than sync.

odrive2’s sync takes this interaction further by allowing you to setup sync folder relationships. From the main odrive2 interface you can drag and drop remote folders onto your local file system (or vice versa) to setup local sync folders. When you setup a sync folder it will start to sync down all of the content within that remote folder to the local folder you chose. Any files you add or edit within that local folder will be uploaded. This is similar to the custom “sync to odrive” folders in odrive1, if you have used that feature before. The big difference is that odrive2 sync does not lay down any placeholders. When you unsync a file or folder, it is removed from the Windows Explorer view, completely. You can still see the file/folder from the main odrive2 file manager. You can also see a list of items that you have chosen to unsync and bring them back into view.

If you take a look at the bottom of the first post here, it goes through the current sync functionality via videos and screenshots:

Thanks, @Tony. That’s clarified it. As a small follow-up question that I’m sure you’re regularly asked, is there any way to see what space is available on each of the cloud drives?
Cheers!

Hi @fatangel01,
Not at this time, but it is something that would definitely be nice to add.

Hello, quick question. Odrive1 had the auto unsync feature. Is there a way to do that with Odrive2? I searched the forum for unsync and desync and did not com up with much.

Hi @deathgog,
We don’t have an auto-unsync feature yet, but it would definitely be nice to have.

I don’t know why, I don’t seems to understand this Odrive2 somehow. Even after upgrading to the monthly subscription, I still don’t get what has changed before and after subscription not to talk of understanding what it is trying to do. Odrive1 is straightforward.

Odrive2 Windows client is now available!

Hi @impfproduct,
Take a look at these posts for some previous discussion on these topics:

Since you are a user of odrive1, can you tell me how you use it and what else you are looking for to meet your needs?

I am VERY, VERY SORRY for my generalized comment about Odrive2. I wanted to comment about the syncing functionality of Odrive2 compared to Odrive1 but failed to make a generalized comment. I understand that Odrive2 has a number of functionalities which Odrive1 didn’t have but I failed to comment wrongly. I am sorry.

Hi @impfproduct,
No problem. I think this post goes over the major differences in fundamental sync functionality, right now:

odrive2 setup is easier through its drag and drop interface. Default sync will download everything in the target remote folder automatically on odrive2, and it does not use placeholders. This means unsync functionality also functions much differently in odrive2 vs odrive1, where files are removed from view, entirely, instead of being represented by placeholder files.

odrive2 also has a major UI element that odrive1 doesn’t have, which allows for more flexibility in how data can be managed and viewed.

Thanks a lot, @Tony!