Odrive2 Windows client is now available!

Hi @zeusontwowheels,
The autoupdate just “happens” right now. It’s quick, so you may not notice it. There isn’t a way to interact with it or control it in the client, currently.

Another update today (v358).

This one has several fixes for the new in-app initiated file edits.

This update has been pushed to autoupdater and the link above has been updated.

I think I’m missing something. I set a folder to sync and it seemed to be syncing fine but I deleted some files on the windows folder and the delete didn’t happen on the google drive side. I was looking for a sync deletes a la oDrive 1 but I don’t see one. How are the deletes supposed to work on sync on oDrive 2?

The video links at the beginning of this post are dead. Just FYI.

Hi @bulls23ant,
Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience here. There is a trash function in the client that isn’t fully exposed yet, but coming soon. For now you can delete them from the odrive file browser part of the app.

Thanks for the heads-up on the videos. The links seem to be temporary so I need to adjust that.

Hello. Im new here and I wanted to give some feedback. Im using the beta and in a moment I’ll become a member. I just wanted to say that I love odrive. I have 3 google drive accounts and all the accounts have my name (all the names look the same) I tried renaming but didnt work for GDrive.(for DBox it worked :open_mouth: ). Please fix. Also please create tooltips with the path or email account pertaining to each account from each drive. On the other hand the new explorer seems good but maybe unnecessary.

There is a software I like named cryptomator, it seems to create a network drive when I unlock my vault. If you could implement a new network drive for odrive just like that, it would be awesome. I believe that everyone knows about C: and D: drives and having an E: for the cloud would be no issue .Inside that network you could show exactly what you have in the odrive2 explorer. Also remember that windows already allows to right click items and _SEND_TO. It could sent to the cloud anything users want. I’m looking forward for the upcoming patches. Let me know if my settings will stay after the app moves out of beta.

Hi @cosorio1994,
Thanks for the feedback and welcome to odrive!

For renaming the Google Drive link, can you tell me where you are trying to rename it? I tested renaming within the drive and in the storage settings (Under Personal Settings->Storage) and they both seem to work.

We’ve released another update:

A post was split to a new topic: Odrive Windows Desktop Client sync across two systems not consistent

Another update has been released today:

A post was split to a new topic: Odrive badges and context menus

Another update is out in the wild:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Odrive vs odrive2?

The unsync is probably the most important feature of odrive to me. The new system without placeholders is a big let down to me. The fact that I do not see placeholder files in folders I want partially synced makes it very hard to later sync additional items back; for one I might not remember what’s in there. Support for subfolders is also lacking, right now if I unsync a subfolder it shows up as a single item and I cannot go and selectively sync some of the items.

Hi @zmk,
Thanks for the feedback.

odrive2 definitely takes a different approach than odrive1 in an effort to simplify the management and interaction of sync.

The odrive2 Explorer is meant to provide the “browse everything” “interact with anything” functionality, where you can navigate through all of your storage and interact with any file, no matter where it is. It takes the place of odrive1’s placeholders, in many ways. A lot of users find this easier for one-off and day-to-day use.

odrive2’s sync can then be used to establish advanced syncing of specific folders that you want to always be in-sync and available locally.

It may take some getting used to, especially if you are an odrive1 user. If you ultimately find that odrive2’s approach is just not for you, we still fully support and maintain odrive1.

o2 Explorer does not indicate which files are being synced and what is their sync status (synced/syncing/unsynced) and as such is useless for this workflow. Downloading to local cache is also not very practical since it’s being stored in random folders in AppData/Local and as such I cannot point to those files from outside.

The thing is that I do not think you will be supporting odrive1 in the future. A sign of that is that you have implemented Backblaze’s write API in odrive2 but not in odrive1.

I guess what I am saying is that it is fine if there are no placeholders, but then Explorer should better integrate with the Sync. Also the default of syncing all the files is a problem, the previous solution where I could only sync files up to a certain size was better, e.g., I want to sync script files but I don’t want to sync pickles.

I think you should try odrive1. Odrive2 does not seam to be as flexible and convenient as odrive1.